Whole grains are referred to as the cereal grains that consist of the germ and the bran as well as endosperm. On the contrary, refined grains retain only the endosperm. Whole grains can be easily sprouted while refined grains cannot be sprouted. Some of the common whole grain cereals are whole wheat bread, rolled oats, sprouted grains, brown rice, and popcorn.
Whole grains are definitely more nutritious than refined grains on account of the presence of germ and bran. Some of the common gains from whole grains are:
1) Whole grains regulate the insulin balance in the body. Insulin is a hormone that is secreted by the pancreatic gland. It is instrumental in the metabolism of sugar to glucose. Whole grains regulate the bodys sensitivity to insulin, thereby averting the incidence of diabetes type II.
2) Consuming whole grains also reduces the chances of obesity. This can be attributed to the fact that whole grains help in the metabolism of sugar, thereby preventing the accumulation of it in the body, which in turn protects you from obesity.
3) Whole grains reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol as well as triglycerides in the body. These components can lead to various cardiovascular diseases. For example, LDL cholesterol (or the bad cholesterol) generally gets accumulated in the blood vessels, leading to a constriction of the lumen of these vessels, thereby causing hypertension. Hence, whole grains are effective against various cardiovascular aliments.
4) Whole grains also protect you from hemorrhagic stroke.
5) Eating whole grains prevent the occurrence of various inflammatory diseases.
6) Whole grains are highly instrumental in curing the symptoms of respiratory and allergic afflictions like asthma. Whole grains, on account of their nutritive value, strengthen the immune system of the body. Asthma, being a disease caused by malfunctioning of the immune system of the body, is alleviated by the rejuvenation or strengthening of the immune system.
7) Whole grains are also effective against tooth loss and gum diseases.
8) Whole grains may be helpful in curing various lethal ailments like colorectal cancer.
9) Whole grains also regulate the level of your blood pressure.
You are recommended to consume at least 2.5 servings of whole grains on a daily basis so as to get the maximum benefits of their nutritional content. When you buy food items, you must make sure you check the labels and try to identify the foods with whole grain ingredients so as to include these foods in your daily diet.